Due to rights issues, a few of our programmes are not available on BBC iPlayer, while some programmes are only available to watch on the website and cannot be downloaded (saved for later). These programmes will be clearly labelled as such.
Once you've found the programme you want to see, it’s easy to watch it. You must be connected to the internet, and then you can either simply click on a programme to watch it there and then or you can save it to your computer (download) to watch later or transfer to another compatible device such as a mobile phone or games console to watch it on that (sideloading). You can then watch it without the need to be connected to the internet. To save the programme you must have BBC iPlayer Desktop installed. You must be in the UK to stream or download a programme, though you can watch saved programmes anywhere in the world.
If you exit the application or start watching a different programme, the player remembers where you left and you can resume from exactly where you stopped watching.
Programmes are generally available for seven days after broadcast. If you download the programme you then have up to 30 days to watch it before the licence expires. This is due to the rights associated with the programmes. You can watch it as many times as you like during this period.
If you have any more questions about BBC iPlayer the menu categories to the left provide more information; otherwise try typing your question or related key words into the Search iPlayer Questions box above.
For detailed issues about BBC iPlayer, please read our FAQ; Where can I go to discuss BBC iPlayer? - which lists active messageboards where users raise, discuss and advise on common issues and problems.
BBC Webwise has a guide on where to find information about BBC programmes.
25 answers found
- Why am I being prompted to update Flash Player?
- Why do I need to upgrade my version of Flash?
- Do I need a TV licence to watch programmes on BBC iPlayer?
- Why am I told I have 'insufficient bandwidth'?
- What's the Parental Guidance Lock and how does it work?
- How do I Play a programme (streaming)?
- Why are some programmes not available on iPlayer?
- I've uninstalled and reinstalled BBC iPlayer Desktop but still have problems, what should I do?
- Can I access BBC iPlayer on my Nintendo Wii game system?