***Updated 12 April 2013***
We have received emails from BBC iPlayer Desktop users reporting that since they had updated Adobe Air to version 3.5 (and above) they have lost downloaded programmes and been unable to download any new programmes.
We can confirm that we are experiencing two key problems:
1. Upgrades to Adobe Air are corrupting or ‘removing' the directory where programmes are stored, resulting in previously downloaded programmes not playing, and future downloads often failing to play.
2. Compatibility problems with Adobe Air and recent releases of Google Chrome result in some users being unable to install iPlayer Desktop or download new programmes.
We are working hard on a solution and we'll update this FAQ when we can share more information with you.
Also, we have made a number of revisions to our FAQs and support pages. In particular, the following may be useful:
1. If you are having a problem downloading and playing more than one programme it's worth uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Air. For more information on how to do this please read: Adobe Air - How do I reinstall Adobe Air?
2. Some Mac users have experienced issues trying to install iPlayer Desktop on their machine.
Please refer to Why am I having an issue installing iPlayer Desktop on my Mac?
When going through the installation or version upgrade process when prompted ensure you click Allow Keychain Access. This confirms that you allow the application to be installed and download BBC programmes.
3. Why am I unable to download programmes when using Google Chrome?
Further information on the problem and compatible browsers can be found in the iPlayer FAQs.
If do you experience problems, we still recommend that you first try uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Air before un-installing/re-installing iPlayer Desktop.
• How do I uninstall BBC iPlayer Desktop for Windows?
• How do I uninstall BBC iPlayer Desktop for Windows XP?
• How do I install or uninstall BBC iPlayer Desktop on a Mac?
Finally, while this may not be a solution for everyone, we do now offer downloads via our mobile application (for Apple devices, Android is in development). Furthermore, for compatible devices, if you are experiencing problems, we encourage you in the interim to try downloading the WMV files and play through a compatible player (e.g. Windows Media Player). These downloadable files can be seen under the 'Download Options' button.